As part of the induction process, it is good practice for you and your new employee to outline the activities or milestones that should take place during the first 90 days.
Day 1 – Welcome to the company
Share the purpose and vision:
- This is why we exist and what success looks like for the business
- This is what we expect from you – values, behaviours, activity, and performance
- This is what you can expect from us – support, development, direction, respect
- Signed off and agreed
- Personal introductions
- Assign a buddy
- Identify the go-to people in the business
- Create an opportunity for some early social activity
- Share HR policies and guidelines including health and safety
Over the 90 days
For each employee, you need to provide a guide to enable your new employee to reach the required end goals.
We would recommend 7-day or 30-day milestones to assess how the training and knowledge acquisition is going.
Titles to consider may be:
- Core skills and responsibilities
- Activity levels and performance
- Communication; both within the organisation and without
- Adoption of internal systems and processes
- Energy and leadership
Feedback after 30 days:
Ask the new employee questions like:
- What do you like, what do we do well?
- What do we do less well?
- What makes no sense to you and how would you change it?
If things are not working in the first 100 days
Understand the ‘Why’:
- Is it a capability or an attitude issue
Look at yourself – could I have done something differently:
- Have we provided sufficient support and training
- Have we effectively communicated expectations
- Have we removed the excuses and blockers to performance
Re-visit the plan:
- Is it realistic
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses
- Closer manage the areas that are more challenging
- Build in shorter-term goals