It is possible you will use several types of interviews to select candidates. Typically, clients will use technical or skill-based interviews and competency interviews but at the first stage a general interview will help you explore a candidate’s background and experience.
What to ask
Interview questions will normally fall into four categories:
- The candidate’s personal and employment history
- What the candidate understands about the role on offer
- Why the candidate feels they are a good fit
- Why the candidate wants the opportunity.
You may want to ask open questions such as:
- Tell me about yourself
- Talk to me about your previous role
- Explain a bit about your career choices to date.
Open questions give the candidate a chance to relax a little as they open up and talk about themselves. These open questions can be followed up with more closed questions such as:
- If you like your current job, why are you leaving?
The interviewer can then begin to probe a little deeper by asking specific questions, for example:
- What is the main strength that you can bring to the company?
- What have been your key achievements in life so far?
- Describe one of your toughest challenges and how did you meet it?
- What interests you about this role and why did you apply for it?
- Give me an example of when you have used your initiative.
- How do you cope under pressure?
- What de-motivates you?
- Where do you see yourself in three years?
Technical and skill-based interviews
You may want to set up a technical test or ask candidates to make a presentation to see evidence of their skills. Talk to your account manager for more information about best practice for technical testing.
Competency-based interviews are also known as situational or behavioural interviews. This is a style of interview designed to allow a candidate to discuss a situation where they previously faced a particular type of challenge or situation, and how they approached solving that problem.
See our Conspicuous Guide to competency-based interviews for more information.
Conspicuous can assist with recruitment at every stage. If you would like more information about interviewing or how to build brilliant teams, please get in touch.
01483 233 000 / 646 202 1761